Three Policies of Graduate School of Design
Admissions Policy of the Graduate School of Design
The Graduate School of Design aims to nurture the following individuals in education and research. Students who are strongly motivated to study and research advanced theories and technologies related to design that are useful in the real world, based on the basic philosophy of the University, and who aim to become practical professionals with excellent researcher skills through personal growth. We seek people who are motivated to contribute to the realization of a sustainable society by cultivating a broad education and international outlook, a rich sense of humanity, high ethical standards, and fertile creativity.
For this reason, we seek the following individuals.
(1) individuals who are willing to pursue groundbreaking designs
(2) individuals who can think globally, who are capable of taking into consideration recent social trends and are open to a diversity of viewpoints
(3) individuals capable of collaborating with others and integrating research etc. from different fields as well as the ability to work independently on production and research
Curriculum Policies of the Graduate School of Design
The Graduate School of Design emphasizes education and research in practical science and technology with which it is hoped graduates will spearhead the development of science and technology that will contribute to the construction of a sustainable society. The School aims to provide students with a globally-oriented education and foster a heightened sense humanity, high ethical standards, thriving creativity, advanced professional skills, advanced communication skills, logical thinking skills, analytical and evaluation skills, problem-solving skills, and communication skills required for presentation of research in international forums. Specifically, education will be conducted in accordance with the following curriculum policies.
(1) Cultivate the ability to conduct research aimed at advanced digital-skills based implementations to address today's complex and diverse social issues.
(2) Promote the acquisition of advanced communication skills that will enable them to play an active role in a wide range of design fields, and that will be useful in international settings.
(3) Develop the management skills to carry out research that applies the latest design knowledge obtained from cross-disciplinary study involving multiple faculty members and students and based on proposals derived from research surveys.
(4) Develop planning skills based on logical thinking and supported by research, analysis, evaluation, and verification that establishes feasibility.
(5) Cultivate the ability to leverage a rich imagination and solid modelling skills to solve real-world problems using ICT.
Diploma Policy of the Graduate School of Design
To qualify for conferral of a degree, students must be enrolled in the School for a specified period of time, take class subjects that are in line with the educational and research philosophy of the School, earn a minimum of required credits, and complete the course by passing the examination for the master's thesis conducted by the School.
The Graduate School will award degrees to students who have acquired the following abilities and attributes.
(1) can explain and conduct research based on the realization of advanced digital skills for implementation.
(2) as a practical professional who can play an active role in a wide range of design related fields, possesses advanced communication skills applicable in international settings.
(3) possesses management skills useful in the execution of research.
(4) possesses planning skills based on logical thinking and supported by research, analysis, evaluation, and verification that establishes feasibility.
(5) possesses the ability to leverage a rich imagination and solid formative skills to solve problems in the real world using ICT.